Followers

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Physical Therapy Graduation, Wahoo!

There I was planking on an exercise ball in the middle of physical therapy when I heard the question and then statement, “Do you think you are ready to graduate physical therapy?  Yeah, you’re graduating physical therapy!”  Yes!  Wait, What?  Graduating?  I have to keep speaking these words because I still can’t believe it.  This was my next major hurdle in my recovery and now I am on the other side of it.  WAHOO!  (Insert in your mind me dancing a little jig) 
I had been going to physical therapy once a week the past 5 weeks.  It may not seem like much, but it was a blessing to have Paul pounding in my head, “you’re not going to break anything, and you can do it”.  The massages on my back were also priceless.  I had been trying to push my recovery, and I over did it about a month ago when I lightly jogged two miles and walked two.  Since then I’ve had a bit of fear and frustration, so exercising has been cumbersome.  However, Paul continued to encourage me and I’m back.  I feel confident that I have what it takes to continue to move forward in my recovery.  I have been released to do weight training, and he showed me some aerobic moves that do not compromise my spinal column.  He suggested that I continue my core strength training.  The same training that I had been doing which was helpful in my ability to maintain my lifestyle prior to surgery. 

Now ready to graduate?  I recall my first session of physical therapy.  I literally was hunched over unable to stand upright. I shuffled myself into the building having to walk past the physical therapy office having feelings of frustration for having to walk an additional 20’ to the business office only to turn around and go back to the therapy room.  I started to sit down which was quite the chore when Paul arrived and introduced himself and said let’s go back to our meet and greet room.  I looked up and this room appeared to be a mile away.  Instantly, I’m thinking I can’t walk that far.  Meanwile, Paul had taken off for the room, Ryan had grabbed my hand and purse, and somehow I did manage the journey.  After we shared my story, measurements were taken.  I could NOT even touch my knees, and I was too afraid to bend from side to side so I only bent an inch or so. 
I’ve been climbing the road to recovery, and it feels great!  I’ve not had to take any pain medications for months, I’ve gone back to work full-time, I can get in and out of bed, I am able to touch the floor, and I’m even able to do all of my household chores (shh, don’t tell as I haven’t admitted to Ryan yet that I have been released to vacuum).  This is spectacular considering just a few months ago I questioned whether I would ever be capable of getting out of bed, showers and potty time were a nightmare, and my hair looked like a birds nest as the act of combing my hair was impossible!

There isn’t a ceremony to commemorate the graduation, but I will never forget this day!
I can see God’s grace, mercy and many blessings that have blossomed from this journey.  I have learned a lot along the way.  Trust, faith and communication with God were my everyday lifelines along with the wonderful support of my family and friends.

Thank you for your continued love and support!

God Bless,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment